Wednesday, August 29, 2007

OCDelight


I have a bit of an OCD problem, particularly when it comes to my closet. I have a hard time focusing on my work, knowing that the pile of black sweaters has topped over or that my shoes are jumbled together.

So I procrastinate in the closet. I sort garments by type (skirts, trousers, etc.) and by color (having once worked at JC Penney, I know how to create a pleasing rainbow on the rod). My shoes are in translucent plastic boxes and stacked in four rows, about ten boxes high. Some boxes have two pairs of shoes in them. Boots and shoes I wear frequently are stored separately. Do the math.

When I went through my closet last weekend, weeding out items for consignment and Goodwill, I rediscovered shoes I forgot I owned. Hello, pink Prada sandals. Nice to see you, blue suede ballet flats from the Barneys Warehouse. Even though I could sort of see the shoes in the boxes, it wasn't good enough. Many shoes had fallen out of rotation.

So I photographed all my sandals, boots, loafers, Mary Janes, kitten heels, mules, clogs, slingbacks, and stilettos in various settings. I printed the photos and laminated them at Kinkos. I cut them out and pasted them onto each box for easier identification.

What's next? A barcode system?

No comments:

A sampling of my books