Saturday, January 24, 2009

Beware the Vicodin

Initially, I cursed the Vicodin. Instead of extra-strength Ibuprofin, I accidentally took one this morning for some slight discomfort (residual pain from some recent surgery).

Normally, this gaffe wouldn't be a problem. I could have just laid down and weathered the nausea and drowsiness that ensued. However, I have a few deadlines to wrap up before I leave for the Craft and Hobby Association Convention & Trade Show tomorrow, including a craft tutorial that requires several coats of paint and drying time between coats.

In addition, I went with some friends to a tasting at Seastar, an Asian fusion restaurant opening next week in the Pan-Pacific Hotel. Things did not go well. I was heavy-lidded, nauseous, and overall a hot mess. When I started to slur my speech, I officially became the comic relief. Think of Molly Ringwald's sister coming down the aisle in Sixteen Candles.

Thankfully, things improved as I nibbled on salmon poke and Thai seafood salad. In fact, the food (from Chef John Howie) was absolutely incredible and I can't wait to go back when I'm not drugged up.

But toward the end of lunch, I started to fret about my craft project waiting at home. Thanks to a bit of brainstorming with Leslie Cohan, I came up with an even better idea for my craft project. It's amazing the kind of creativity that is borne out of desperation. I often feel that my creative cupboard is bare but then, when my back is to the wall, I come up with something that I truly love and that can hopefully jumpstart someone else's creativity.

Look for my tutorial Monday morning on CraftStylish, and stay tuned for posts from the CHA convention floor.

3 comments:

Emily said...

at least you headache went away right? and it gave you a new blog post.. sounds like a good day to me!

Shano said...

Vicodin and sushi. Your living nightmare is most people's euphoria LOL

rene descartes said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

A sampling of my books