Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Welcome back, Potter

I started rereading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix last night, wanting everything to be fresh in my mind when the movie (which is going to be totes awesome, by the looks of the trailer) opens. Then I'm going to move onto Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, so I'm up to date when the last book drops. Yes, I've pre-ordered the book.

When I read these books, I start believing that magic is possible. When I was a kid, I went for books like The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare and Ghosts I Have Been by Richard Peck. That was scary, thrilling stuff. I liked my Judy Blume, too (Wifey was pretty thrilling, as I recall!), don't get me wrong, but books of mystery and adventure were what I routinely ordered from those Scholastic and Troll book club flyers that were circulated in the classroom. When the books arrived, I remember my classmates getting one or two while a huge stack landed on my desk. Even then, I was greedy about my books.

If my wall of books (six bookshelves stacked next to each other) is any indication, not much has changed.

By the way, I just heard that there are plans in the works for Harry Potter's World, an amusement park to be located in Florida. In theory, I think this level of commercialization and exploitation is crass, but as a fan (in spite of my muggle status), in practice I'll be queuing up for some butterbeer.

No comments:

A sampling of my books