Friday, June 22, 2012

Blogversation 2012: How do you prefer to communicate?

Throughout this year, several bloggers will engage in a conversation at Newvine Growing and on their blogs — asking questions of each other and responding. Others are absolutely welcome to join the conversation, as well. Learn more about the ladies of Blogversation 2012.

This week, the question, posed by Colleen Newvine Tebeau herself, concerns modern communication. I just thought yesterday that I needed to blog about a podcast I was on, two words that weren't part of my vernacular ten years ago. And then I started thinking about e-mail, texts, and mobile phones and how many young people today will never know the joy of finally getting access to the home phone and then getting your best friend or a crush on the other end. There was commitment involved with communication. 

Today we get "Call me maybe." 

So how do I use technology? In every way, shape, and form. As I write this, I just wrapped a hands-free cell phone call with mom as I drove home (which I dialed via Siri), I have a man Skyping me, a friend IM-ing me on Facebook, and random texts showing up on my smart phone.

You'd think I'd want to claw my face off.

However, the truth is, like a frog introduced to a pot of water, I've warmed up to technology as it's infiltrated my personal and professional life. I have many friends in different time zones and it's such a pleasure to instant message with a friend volunteering at an African baboon shelter (and a relief to know she's okay!) or bond on Facebook over Downton Abbey with a brother who I've been previously out of touch with. 

Sure, I used to think it weird that some friends only liked to communicate via text or e-mail. I'd leave a voicemail and without fail, they'd get in touch two days later…via e-mail. Now, I'm sometimes one of those cuckaloos. It may be inconvenient to talk or frankly, I know it will just take up more time than I have to spare. So I welcome technology because it allows me to communicate in new ways and it allows me to pair the technology to the occasion. Quick work question? E-mail with high importance tag. Interview with someone across the country? Skype video call with a headset. Chat with a friend? Facebook IM while I'm watching aforementioned Downton Abbey.

(phone: article.wn.com)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you're looking to lose weight then you absolutely need to start following this brand new tailor-made keto plan.

To create this keto diet, licenced nutritionists, personal trainers, and professional cooks united to develop keto meal plans that are powerful, painless, economically-efficient, and fun.

Since their first launch in early 2019, thousands of clients have already remodeled their body and well-being with the benefits a certified keto plan can offer.

Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover 8 scientifically-confirmed ones offered by the keto plan.

A sampling of my books